Monday, September 5, 2011

Paseo Colorado Fountain

The Paseo Colorado in Pasadena merits more than one Mosaic Monday entry. The Paseo is on Colorado Blvd, between Marengo and Los Robles. Today, we concentrate on the 2nd level fountain, designed by Anne Marie Karlsen. It's titled "Eye of the Beholder," and it went up in 2001. This picture of it comes from Fine Arts Services, which manages public art projects.

I've gotten much more cavalier about using photos from other sites. Two reasons: one, no one seems to mind when I ask permission--in fact, they are either thrilled or simply don't respond. The second reason is that I'm busier and cutting corners. So if I offend anyone or step on toes--just email me and I'll take the photo down, I promise.

The fountain, along with most of the artwork in the Paseo (including at least two more mosaic works) is here thanks to the Pasadena Arts Commission. "Eye of the Beholder" is made of hand-painted, handcast, high relief ceramic tiles, according to the artist's website.

Here's a closeup of one small section--more closeups are available on the artist's website.  I hope she doesn't mind that I used this one. Her site also has an incredible shot of the fountain from directly above.

Artist Anne Marie Karlsen has designed and installed a lot of public art throughout the county, including the kaleidoscopic glass panels in the tower of tiny Lawndale's new library, and the painted tile murals at the North Hollywood Red Line Station. Both of those are mosaic-like,but not really mosaics, so you'll have to click on the links to see the pictures. Karlsen teaches at Santa Monica College, and she's currently working on a couple of abstract mosaic panels for the building at 129 Raymond in Pasadena.

No comments: